Monday 3 June 2013

Doing lines - the theatrical way

As some of you may know, I am try to be a thespian but my downfall is my line learnign. I leave it to the last minute and the lines don't sink in until they are fully immersed in my muscle memory. But more importantly, how does that oubliette of knowledge (the Internet) educate the lone "Am-Drammer" to learn lines?

About.com suggests reading it out aloud a lot of times, I haven't been it reading it out aloud yet, so maybe this is my first stumbling block.

A BBC video of some of your favourite actors explain some tips - I do write out my own lines in my own hand writing and I am tempted to do some drawings to go with them as I feel I am a visual learner and I like doodling.

Wikihow suggests reading the play and understanding it - see how your character fits into the mesh of it - and use the movements in the play's script whilst you go over the lines. Know your cue by learning those as well and split your script into manageable chunks. 

As you traverse down the search engine's suggestions for learning lines, the suggestions increase from seven tips to ten to twelve

You will no doubt search through Youtube for some line learning tips, this is quite a fun one and he suggests you get a comfortable environment, understand the words and cover the words with your hand on the script, the hard work is at the beginning of the session to name but a few of the methods.


There is no magic way of learning lines, it is just a question of learning them but the above tips do help. 

Apologies for what might be a boring post, but it may help you at some point later, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment