Saturday 1 June 2013

Asking and answering a question at a comic convention

Whilst trying to add to an article for tonight's Twilight Thinking, I came across the following on an Upworthy posting and reposted by George Takei, remember he was one of the actors from the original Star Trek series.

Someone luckily had videoed a question and answer session at a comic festival, Comicpaloooza - The Texas International Comic Con, where people were asking Sir Patrick Stewart questions. Heather Skye was one such woman, who plucked up the courage to ask a question; this young woman started by saying thank you to Sir Patrick Stewart for a video he did for the charity Amnesty International, see below:

I hope this is the video. From Heather's blog, she explains why she wanted to thank him:

"I had only seen it a few months ago but I was still dealing with my own personal experience with a similar issue, and I didn’t know what to call it. After seeing Patrick talk so personally about it I finally was able to correctly call it abuse, in my case sexual abuse that was going to quickly turn into physical abuse as well. I didn’t feel guilty or disgusting anymore. I finally didn’t feel responsible for the abuse that was put upon me. I was finally able to start my healing process and to put that part of my life behind me." (Skye, 2013)

She then continued to ask him the question, she had queued for so long, that question being:

"Besides acting, what are you most proud of that you have done in you life (that you are willing to share with us)?"
(Skye, 2013)

And this was when Sir Patrick Stewart answers that question, I will not spoil the reveal for you, but I will say it mentions the great work of Refuge; the abuse that his mother had to deal with and the illness that affected his father. Have a look at the video of this extraordinary Q & A session:

Or you can, if you have time, read the blog of Heather Skye http://tmblr.co/ZclMCtm6jfVW
  
I thank Heather for asking the question and sharing the answer, I thank Sir Patrick Stewart for the answer and his continuing good work and I thank the videographer for filming the Q & A session.

Skye, H. 2013 Blog of Heather Skye. [ONLINE] Available at: http://lemonsweetie.tumblr.com/post/51652237280/let-me-tell-you-a-thing-about-an-amazing-man?c=upworthy. [Accessed 01 June 2013].

No comments:

Post a Comment